Straining to Hear

A room with a New York view, from Soho to the United Nations and everything in between.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Timor by numbers

Since I wasn't able to access the blog while I was on mission, I couldn't provide any updates. In the absence of anything qualitative, here's something quantitative. My trip in numbers:

Travel time: 118hrs 45 minutes (79hrs 45 en route, 39hrs return)
Distance traveled: 26,016 miles (more than once around the globe)
Countries visited: 4
Time on the ground in Timor: 168 hrs
Suitcases: 0
Security checkpoints: Lost count
Retarded airline excuses: Really lost count
Bureaucratic reports produced: 1
Cost of the trip: $15,300
Years off my life due to stress: unknown

So it wasn't a great trip, frankly.

2 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Blogger Jesper Haglund said...

Unless it will bring back the stress - is there any chance of getting a sample of some of the retarded airline excusess?

(On the other hand, you may want to hang on to those - one of last year's bestselling books in Sweden was a collection of notes left by people in various apartment blocks' communal washrooms.)

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger E said...

The excuses weren't amusing or creative in any way, just ridiculous. For example, the idea that 45 minutes is insufficient time to transfer a bag from an Emirates flight to another Emirates flight in the same terminal, in their OWN AIRPORT, is insane. I also got a lot of word games about reservations being made but not confirmed, confirmed but not ticketed... blah blah. Nothing I could create an amusing anecdote out of, I'm afraid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home