Straining to Hear

A room with a New York view, from Soho to the United Nations and everything in between.

Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Here's to the heroes

It’s getting uglier by the day in Syria. This week, another six international staff were evacuated from the country, leaving only a skeleton crew behind. It’s the same for the other humanitarian organizations. Syrian colleagues -- the so-called "national staff", are still on the ground, trying to work, but it's not easy. Incidents of hijacking and looting of aid vehicles and compounds are on the rise. Convoys come under small arms fire on a daily basis. Mortars have landed just steps away form UN offices, and shelling can be heard on an hourly basis from the office. Staff are working from alternate locations, or from home, but it's of little help -- you can hear the shells from there, too.

I can't express how much I admire my colleagues for sticking it out, in spite of everything. It's genuinely heroic.

2 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so grateful you're not on the front line, and so proud of everything that you are doing

 
At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's sad to imagine the fear they suffer daily. I confess that I watch the news and sometimes get the events being reported in Syria muddled with what's going on in Egypt. What a mess. Stay safe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home