Keeping in Touch
One of the reasons I started this blog is because I've become increasingly poor at keeping in touch with family and friends. I'm acutely aware that a blog is not a solution to the problem so much as a sop to my conscience, but it's a start. It has also turned out to be a catalyst for some self examination on why I'm so lousy at maintaining contact with people I care about. I know I'm not alone in this, either; everybody falls out of touch with friends and family.
But why? What is so hard about reaching out to people, especially in this internet age?
For me, with some friends, it can be a self-reinforcing thing. The longer you stay out of touch with someone, the more remote your respective experiences become and the harder it is to contemplate explaining your life to that person when you finally do connect. There's just too much catch-up sometimes, it seems. With others, it's almost the opposite phenomenon: you're so close that there is never any need to explain. Whenever you speak to that person, it's like no time at all has passed. But that can lead to complacency, where you subconsciously start to think (wrongly) that the relationship requires no maintenance. You become, in a word, lazy.
Then there's the old 'I'm too busy', but that is perhaps the lamest excuse of all. If you're too busy to have relationships, your life has some serious priority issues.
So why do we fall out of touch? I don't know, but I'm increasingly persuaded that there are no good excuses. And you can all hold me to that.

2 Comments:
Hey hey, Erin. I know what you mean about not staying in touch, I'm so, so very bad about that. I talk to my mom like maybe once every 3-5 months or so, and as for friends, well, I haven't talked to any one of them if they hadn't been in my area or theirs recently. I can explain it with my very reticent personality and individualistic demeanor.
I've only recently started up a journal just so I can start focusing on trying to communicate, not necessarily with anyone but just the act of doing it in order to aliviate part of my sociopathic outlook. Also, it helps me to get into a rhythm so that I can try to establish more discipline into my chaotic life.
Anyway, one way to try to keep in touch is to plan that you will call one friend/family member each weekend, that way you don't over burden yourself with trying to talk to everyone, and it doesn't truly impact the time you need to do other things.
I got your blog from Erik S. deBie since he was touting how well your story, Faerie Ire, was and that you had started up a blog. I loved that story. I thought that was a marvelous display of point of view, and the fact that you were able to capture the charisma of Zyx, and his flightiness. :-)
Great job!!!
Feel free to check my journal if you get teh chance, nothing too special there in my opinion, just me stretching my fingers, so to speak. Take care. Ephero's Livejournal
Welcome, Ephero, and thanks for the kind words. We're all just stretching our fingers here.
Post a Comment
<< Home