Straining to Hear

A room with a New York view, from Soho to the United Nations and everything in between.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Back to the real world

I returned to New York to find this letter waiting for me:

“Dear Erin,

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to consider the opening chapters of THE SKELETON KEY. Unfortunately, while you're a very good writer, I wasn't sufficiently enthusiastic to feel that I would be the best advocate for your work. I'm sure that another agent will view your work with all the enthusiasm it deserves, and I wish you the best in your writing career.”

This, friends, is a serious bummer. This agent was my #1 choice, so while I never had more than a snowball's chance of snagging her, it's a letdown to have it confirmed. One can only take so much solace in the compliment, rare and precious though it is. If I was a grateful sort, I'd just be glad it wasn't a form letter, like 99% of rejections are. But I'm not grateful; the bottom line is, she didn't go for it.

I didn't particularly need this on top of my post-travel funk (expected) and my post-travel illness (unexpected). Remind me why I do this again?

5 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home, feel better soon, and take solace in the fact that not only did you see parts of the world not on any travel brochere, you actively went there looking to raise awareness, educate yourself, and make a difference.

Now, as for Agent #1, you need to really focus on that compliment again;

"while you're a very good writer..."

Your #1 agent choice, amongst a city teeming with them, feels you are a good, no, a very good writer. Once again, it was the subject matter, not the writing (or the writer), that failed to get her undivided attention.

I won't browbeat you when you feel less than 100%, but once you've recovered physically, whether you feel ready emotionally or not, you need to solicit your next choice.

And after that?

Your next choice.

Persistance and patience, in equal doses. You do this because somewhere inside you, buried underneath the globe-trotting, U.N. representing, New York dwelling adventurer, is a really good writer.

Hopefully you do it also because it fulfills you.

~ J.L. Collins ~
www.jl-collins.com

 
At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hrrmmmm, I think it was you a while back that I had the conversation about agents and the need (or lack thereof) for them. I was very skeptical about the whole idea of using an agent, especially since what agents really amount to are sorta-friends who have connections.

What I complained about was that if you write something that isn't in your agent's particular taste then ho war eyou going to have any chance of selling your work. You said you have to solicit for another agent, one who is more in line with your genre or style.

So, this agent wasn't it. I know you'll find the right agent, someone who appreciates your particular story more than this one. Not to sound corny or anything, but I know you'll find that agent real soon. I've read some of your work and trust it won't be floating in the ether for long.

If anything, write the agent back and see if that person has a recommendations for another agent.

Don't get too bummed out though, just collect the rejections and join the rejection forum and see how many you can bag for the win. :-)

Take care, and let us know when you do make the sale, I'm anxious to read that story. (unless you want to send it to me, for like review or something?) :-D

~Epheros

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger E said...

Jason,

Have you ever considered a career in coaching? I think your half time talks are swell. ;)

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger E said...

Of course you're right, Epheros. Keep pitching, and hopefully one of 'em will swing.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger E said...

You speak truly, Paul.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home