Straining to Hear

A room with a New York view, from Soho to the United Nations and everything in between.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Postcard from the edge

It feels like the end of the earth here. At night, when the moon comes up, it is so huge and bright you would swear it was just outside your window, close enough to touch. By day, the land is barren and dry, a sandy wasteland where everything seems to move in slow motion. The people are tired, hot and hungry, and their bone-thin frames, gaunt faces and shuffling gaits sometimes give an almost ghoulish impression, as though they have somehow mistakenly wandered across the border from hell.

Maybe they have. The fighting has started again, we hear, though the details are sketchy see article. The JEM – the Justice and Equality Movement of Darfur – clashed with Sudanese troops yesterday morning, with at least fifty wounded on the Sudanese side. In response, the Sudanese have bombed the border lands, possibly on the Chadian side as well. It isn’t yet clear exactly where the bombs fell, but the fighting was very near the Oure Cassoni refugee camp, and we fear the worst. The camp is known to be a key recruiting spot for the JEM. Besides, bombing from Antonov aircrafts is not a precise affair; it's a matter of opening the cargo hatch and letting 'em roll.

This morning, many of the team are attending an emergency meeting of the UN, key NGOs, the local government, and the French military to share information about what happened and whether we anticipate any humanitarian impact. It’s still too early to tell, but all but one of the refugee camps are already packed to capacity, so if there is significant population movement across the border, we may not be able to handle it. The French should be able to tell us more, since they have listening stations at the border and regularly monitor this type of activity. Probably the African Union will also fill in some of the gaps.

Speaking of the AU, after the third time driving by a bunch of AU troops lounging under a tree, I finally asked the head of our local office to explain what exactly they are doing. He said, “They’re observers, here to monitor the peace agreement.”

I told him I understood why, on paper, the AU observers were in Chad. “But look at them just lying around all the time! What are they actually doing?”

Shrugging, he replied, “They’re observing.”

Their compatriots on the Sudanese side of the border are having a more interesting time of it, unfortunately. The clashes near Bahai were anticipated, and more are sure to follow. Last night, we chatted with a Darfuri academic who is now a research fellow at Harvard. He comes here every few months for field research, and what he sees must break his heart. He thinks the blood is about to flow in earnest. Khartoum knows it cannot hold off peacekeepers forever, no matter how bilious its protestations to the international community. Eventually, the AU force will either be radically expanded or re-hatted as UN peacekeepers – as UNMIS, the United Nations Mission in Sudan. Before that happens, Khartoum is determined to make a final push against the JEM and other non-signatories of the Darfur Peace Agreement, to mow as many of them down as possible before peacekeepers deploy along the borderlands.

Morale among aid workers is low. Every morning, as we pour ourselves cups of Nescafe in the UNHCR cafeteria, we swap stories about skirmishes and clashes; forty refugees here, five thousand internally displaced (IDPs) there. In low voices, we speculate into our cups about where the next military strike will occur. We commiserate with the IRC workers whose colleagues are treating the wounded Sudanese military smack in the middle of JEM territory, bracing for the inevitable moment when the rebels will come looking for the soldiers they failed to kill.

I will almost certainly leave before the real shit hits the fan. But I’m actually not quite sure how I feel about that. It will be strange to abandon these people, these friends I’ve made, leaving them with nothing but good wishes as they brace against the tide. They’ll all be fine, Inshallah, but they will need every bit of strength they can muster.

Do me a favour – send them some good vibes, will you?

9 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger James McGinley said...

Bless you for your HEORISM for Darfur! We are working to raise the ranks of we-the-citizens to stop the Genocide. No one else can. No one else will.
Several of us have decided to begin a RESCUE DARFUR FAST.
http://darfurdyingforheroes.blogspot.com/2007/09/join-rescue-darfur-fast-till-it-stops.html
One of us began 5 days ago, and several others today. Links below for the details.
Nothing less than a worldwide fast-until-the-genocide-stops will be enough to stop it.
Nothing less will be a sufficient moral response.
Nothing less will preserve our humanity, yours and mine.
Please consider linking (below) to increase the visibility of this effort.
Jay McGinley jymcginley@cs.com
Day 134 Darfur Vigil at White House; Day 68 Rescue Darfur Fast (since July 4, 2006)
DARFUR Dying for Heroes
http://darfurdyingforheroes.blogspot.com
(you would find this a helpful resource)
Please consider linking here to increase the visibility of this effort.

http://darfurdyingforheroes.blogspot.com/2007/09/join-rescue-darfur-fast-till-it-stops.html
http://darfurdyingforheroes.blogspot.com

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger E said...

Hmm.

This is a personal blog, not a political platform. I do delve into politics, especially lately (because of where I am), but this isn't an advocacy network -- it's an account of my daily life.

I applaud any effort to stop the slaughter in Darfur. But I'm not sure indiscriminate search-and-spam of other people's blogs is the best way to go.

I will leave this comment in the spirit of free speech, but I do hope it's the last of its kind.

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger James McGinley said...

Dear sister,

Hmm. I am so grateful and admiring of what you are doing. I appreciate the candor of your comment. Am I confused, dismayed, pained by your comment? Oh yes. Asside from continuing to abandon Darfur and heroic workers like you, what do you advise? Anything?

Please do not feel obliged to respond. I will continue to do the best I am able to support Darfur, and you.

With deep respect and admiration,

jay jymcginley@cs.com

 
At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the idea of cutting short your trip (and your job) is disheartening, but I'd suggest all you can do now is absorb as much of the experience as you can every day you remain there.

Otherwise, keep you eyes open, your ears alert, and your head down.

You were supposed to e-mail me before you left, to try and expand my comprehension of African politics and the political impact of one lone Canadian. I'll settle for a decent follow-up letting me know if the ground work matched the paperwork.

Or a dedication in one of your future bestsellers, which ever comes first. (That's meant to be a pick-me-up, except, you know, it's a pick-you-up, except, you know, not as in "picking you up", just pick your spirits up... ah hell.)

~ J.L. Collins ~
www.jl-collins.com

 
At 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marhaban!! It looks like you are picking up a little of the local language, errrr, or is that the national language? I'm glad to hear everything for you has been safe and that you will be coming home soon.

Is'fer salaam, Sadiqaty!

~Epheros

 
At 3:33 AM, Blogger E said...

Jay,

Please don't misunderstand. As I said, I applaud your dedication to the cause, and I wish you the very best. Know that people out here appreciate such efforts as well. My point is simply that this blog is not the right platform for you, unfortunately. The audience is not right.

I wish I had some advice for you, but I don't. In truth, it's hard to describe the sense of futility my colleagues out here feel from time to time, which I am just tasting now.

If you're in Washington, you might consider organizing a protest in front of the Chinese embassy. As I have noted in previous posts, I believe China holds the keys to the prison.

Best wishes to you,

 
At 3:35 AM, Blogger E said...

Jason,

I did send you an email, and you never replied! :P

We'll definitely talk when I get back. I'll be in Chad a few more days, and then I'm off to Dakar. When I'm back in NYC, we'll catch up.

 
At 3:56 AM, Blogger E said...

Salaam alekum, Epheros.

French is the working language here, but Arabic is the mother tongue of most of the locals. The vast majority of Chadians from this part of the country never went to school, so they did not learn French. The unfortunate side effect of this lack of education in the north and central areas means that none of our local staff are all that local; they come from the south, where many have had a chance to go to school.

Anyway, "Inshallah" is something I picked up long ago. In my line of work, multilingual phrases come up a lot. French is the language of swearing (see "The Matrix III" for an explanation of why), Italian is the language of niceties such as thank yous, how-are-yous, etc., and Arabic is the language of prayer and expression of desire. I really don't know why.

Alla ysalmak.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger James McGinley said...

Thanks sister. Bless your heart. Jay
ps: China may well be the prison keeper. The taxpayers that employ the prisonkeeper are we-the-world/US citizens. I feel certain that the key to "us" is awakening our hearts. And, as Ganhi said, "Be the change you want to see," is the way, the only way. I and a few others are trying to be the courage, compassion and humanity here, in DC, in front of the Chinese Embassy, Sudan Embassy, on college campuses... that it might (yes it will take a miracle) spark a brushfire of such courageous, committed action.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home