Straining to Hear

A room with a New York view, from Soho to the United Nations and everything in between.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

For Writers

I recently came across this little gem at the Absolute Write water cooler. (If you're a writer and you don't hang out around the cooler, you are clearly some sort of shameless Philistine who should be flogged without mercy.)

Was that strong? Perhaps that was a bit strong. Point is, you should check out the website -- it's a fantastic resource for writers of all types. But I digress... the 'little gem' in question is:

http://www.sff.net/paradise/plottricks.htm

It's called the Evil Overlord Devises a Plot. It's a random plot generator, and looks like one hell of a writing exercise. The generator supplies you with a long and ridiculous list of fiction cliches, then helps you string them randomly together -- complete with plot twists -- to develop an original storyline out of unoriginal material. It's ingenious, particularly if, like me, you lean towards humour in your writing.

I plan to give this baby a whirl as soon as I find the time (I know, I know...). When I do, I'll post the result.

5 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's hilarious! :)

Cheers

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger E said...

I put together an initial list, but I'm not sure whether I'll keep it. It seems to lead to a WWII story, which I'm not sure is my forte...

 
At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!!! I stayed up later than I should've last night reading those, in fact I didn't even post to my journal like I wanted to because of that site. That was the funniest thing I've read in a while, but what's even more funny is all of the little tidbits are true in a way.

How many stories are afflicted by these tiny moments of idiocy, "stopping to explain the point of the scheme to the hero before killing him, allowing the hero time to escape". Just kill him quickly and get it done!!

I've made a copy of that list and will definitely refer to it as I write, I think it would make a great story to actually stick to making sense rather than create a contrived, and of course cliche, situation.

I'm really glad you brought that out, it sure does put in perspective the reason why one sticks to a plot rather than bending a plot to stick to the story. The plot will change as the story, the REAL story, forces itself out of the writer's mind and starts to actualize, plot should keep the story crisp. If the characters are doing something that doesn't make the plot fit together then the plot is in error, the writer needs to find out what is really happening with the characters, why have things changed, and what is the next step.

You see these plot problems in James Bond storie/movies, TV series, and second-rate serial books/novellas, etc. I should hope not to fall victim to that kind of sloppiness. But, it still makes for great comedy! :-D

Thanks, Erin!!
~Epheros

 
At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uuummmm, I may not have explained what I was thinking very well. I hope I still made my point though. I guess maybe I shouldn't stick to just a rough draft, even when making innocuous postings, eh?

~Epheros

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger E said...

Perfectionism is a tough thing to maintain in this instant gratification world!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home