Day 2
How to describe N’djamena? Dusty roads, crumbling buildings scrawled with French and Arabic. Men in long robes with pillbox hats or loose-fitting turbans sitting astride noisy motorbikes. Women in long patterned dresses with matching headdresses, or buckets delicately balanced on the crowns of their heads. Children selling nuts and handicrafts crying, “S’il vous plait, madame, achetez-en, madame!” Petrol being sold in 2L soda bottles on the side of the road. The usual African madness, people lying about at the roadside or milling in the streets, seemingly nowhere to go and nothing to do.
It’s dusty and muggy – God it’s hot here. And it’s not even the hot season. My clothes stink already. Fortunately or unfortunately, everybody else stinks too, so nobody will notice me.
And the poverty. I’ve never seen anything like it, not even in rural Kwa-Zulu Natal. More on that later, I’m sure, but I have a meeting now.

3 Comments:
Well, I'm glad to hear you made it safely to Africa and that you didn't have too much difficutly getting through. It's wonderful to also hear you're having such a great time and that you wish all of us were there with you to enjoy the sites, the sounds, the smell... aaaaahhhhh yes! the smell!
So have you gotten past the point of crying to yourself and wondering why you chose to go? After you let go of your prejudices about luxories, like clean water and a private toilet, you'll actually find you'll like it. It'll be a game to you, a little challenge, to blend in.
Pick up some of their clothes and wear what they where. Sample the food without trying to decipher what you are eating, and for the stuff that is rather easy to identify, just try it anyway.
Keep us up to date and definitely stay safe! We're right there with you in spirit, if not technology.
Take care!
~Epheros
OK, so I don't leave comments every day, but I do load your blog up on a regular basis to see what's going on. Quite frankly, I'm getting impatient - where's Day 3, dammit?!?!
Hope you're having fun, Er. :)
~Spanks
Hehehehe, she probably forgot to pack her solar powered battery recharger and ran out of juice on her laptop!
I hope everything is going well and you're staying safe, Erin.
Take care!
~Epheros
Post a Comment
<< Home