Straining to Hear

A room with a New York view, from Soho to the United Nations and everything in between.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

T minus 4 days

In preparation for my trip, some interesting little tidbits of info about Chad, courtesy of the good folks at the CIA:

Climate: Desert in north (Sahara), tropical in south. Temperature range: 30- 45 degrees Celsius (86 – 113 F for you Yanks).
Population: 9.9 million, mainly Arabs and various black African peoples.
Life expectancy: 47 years
Population living below poverty line: 80%
Languages: French, Arabic
Paved roads: 267 km (!)
Telephones: “Primitive” (!!)

I’ll be looking at about 35 degrees and the end of the rainy season. Hot + wet + Africa = bugs. Big, shiny, icky, colourful bugs. (See photo for an example of African bugs.) It also poses wardrobe problems, although I think I’ve nearly sorted that out. I’ve borrowed a few shalwar kameez and purchased a lot of long, billowy cotton shirts and skirts. I’ve also picked up a few scarves for my head (or my nose and mouth, for those days when the desert is acting up).

Also got my medical kit sorted, which was great fun to go through. Everything you could ever possibly need is in there – even candy for low blood sugar! Aside from the bandages, syringes and other standard items, there’s oral rehydration salts, iodine for treating water, bug spray, anti-itch cream, anti-inflammatories, anti-diarrheals, condoms (yes, seriously), rubber gloves, burn pads, suntan lotion… I could spend all day playing with the contents.

Whew. Did I mention I’m nervous?

4 Comments:

At 1:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on your trip and I hope you get a chance to keep us all posted. Stay safe, and try not to eat those grasshoppers, they look kinda upsetting. :-D

Take care!

~Epheros

 
At 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm, grashoppers...high in protein and crunchy to boot. Besides, it's Africa, you've got to jump in the foodchain and establish your dominance among the local fauna. ;-)

But seriously, be careful and have a good trip. Sounds quite interesting!

Best,
--James P. Davis

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger E said...

Too right, James. Besides, I understand chocolate-covered grasshoppers are pretty tasty. Or was it roasted grasshoppers? Can't remember -- either way, people eat 'em. On purpose, even.

 
At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're about to leave, so I wanted to say that I hope your trip is rewarding, exhilarating (only in the good ways), and fulfilling.

Be safe.

~ J.L. Collins ~
www.jl-collins.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home