Blame the Brits
Every morning before work, we watch BBC America (the only BBC available to us, sadly) to tune into the World News headlines. Needless to say, the TV remains tuned to the Beeb until the next time we turn it on, so depending on what time that is, we inadvertently tune into any number of BBC programs. Sometimes I leave them on for old time's sake, even if I'm not watching. It makes me nostalgic for Europe.
Lately, it's also reminded me of a little fact I'd forgotten. When it comes to culture, it's often been said that America is leading us down a dark path from which we may never return, a place where the lowest common denominator rules and intelligent, quality art is starving to death.
Maybe. But in television at least, I'm afraid the Americans are johnny-come-lately on the crap-track. It's the Brits we should be blaming.
Many people don't realize this, but reality television was invented in the UK. Yes, it's true. Living in Europe was a real eye-opener when it came to British culture. The only English-language station available to us was the BBC. This meant we got excellent news coverage, good comedies (like the original Office, which was way, way better than the knock-off Yank version) and lots of educational programming. It also meant we were forced to watch whatever else was on, and it soon became clear to me that the Brits will watch anything.
They have reality shows about people selling their homes, redecorating their homes, buying their homes, and redecorating, selling AND buying their homes. They have two shows about redoing your garden. They have shows about rooting through your attic for crap and then auctioning it off. Or buying crap at a flea market and auctioning it off. Or having your crap appraised before it is auctioned (they have a thing about auctions...). The Brits have Fame Academy, which was the precursor to American Idol. They have What Not to Wear, which came before Queer Eye. They have shows with date doctors, diet doctors, parenting doctors, and even a show -- and this is for real -- about somebody coming over to your house and showing you how to tidy it up properly. If some of these premises sound familiar, it's because you've seen them on your local station, recycled in an American version.
Due props for McCulture, but over the true monuments of television garbage, the Union Jack is flying high.

2 Comments:
I tend to agree with that assessment. I've spent time in Europe and the Middle East and I actually blended in far better there than I do here in America. Interesting, that!
The problem I have with America is that in our reach to become the best country on the planet, what with our young and vainglorious democratic republic, and the most open and advanced society, we've actually ruined our sense of humanity by rewarding our sense of self.
Now, everyone (generalized alittle here) in America has a car and a large place to live, be it an apartment, house, or condo, and a big screen TV, and whatever other excess one can think of. The problem is no one really has earned these things, they gotten without real sacrifice. And, because they've gotten without sacrifice they've lost any sense of value on themselves, on the society, and on their role in society.
Common sense has been left on the wayside as excess garbage in their fanatical reach for more. We see lawsuits for the most stupid of issues, things that make one wonder who is more idiotic - the person who is attempting the lawsuit or the person who will take the case and exploit any loophole while sacrifice decency.
I still choose to live in America because of the possibilities available to me, but most certainly I'm looking for a job that will allow me to be an American citizen yet live and work in Europe - preferably Greece, or Jordan, or Italy...
I expect America to suffer a great, great failure, a collapse that, unfortunately, will topple other countries as well. Chaos and anarchy will reign causing even more destruction - and I truly fear what regime will take us out of the hell we've put ourselves and many others into.
Eeeeewwwwwww, how despressing that was, sorry! ~Epheros
Personally, I have to confess a fondness for crappy TV. And crappy movies, and crappy books. What can I say, I get enough seriousness at work. So if watching Survivor makes me a bad person, well, at least I'll have some fun before I go to hell.
And I should add that any criticism of American or British TV does not imply any Canadian smugness. Au contraire; most of our shows are even more embarrassing.
Post a Comment
<< Home