Straining to Hear

A room with a New York view, from Soho to the United Nations and everything in between.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Back to Africa

This time for vacation. I'm not looking forward to getting back on a plane again so soon -- especially the reverse of the very same South African airways flight I took from back Dakar -- but I am certainly looking forward to arriving.

It's funny -- southern Africa has become so familiar now, and I think part of me expected West Africa to feel that way too. But they're nothing alike, really. They might as well be on opposite sides of the planet. Still, I think all those visits to South Africa probably prepared me a lot better for Chad and Senegal. I experienced some pretty serious culture shock the first time I was in SA, and some VERY serious culture shock in Chad. I keep thinking that if I hadn't already had four trips to Africa under my belt before I went to Chad, I might have had a pretty tough time of it.

Anyway, all that seems very distant now. I'm looking forward to lying on a Mozambiquan beach and drinking South African wine. If I'm feeling energetic, maybe I'll do a little scuba. It can't get much better than that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home