Technology is kewl
Have you ever received an SMS from the jungles of the Congo? Probably not. But if you ever do, it'll probably make you stop and think that the world is shrinking awfully fast.
Imagine -- two hundred years ago, communication depended on the speed of a horse or a ship. A hundred years ago, a telegraph wire would get the job done quickly, but you'd have to live in a town in the rich world to have access to one. Fifty years ago we had the phone, but you had to be in a house in a rich country. Now we have mobile phones powered by satellite dishes, and I can chat with my friend on the shores of Lake Kivu, deep in the heart of darkest Africa, while I'm sitting at my desk.
Awesome.

2 Comments:
Nope, no African emails for me. But I've received a bottle of Tanzanian (Tanzani? Tanzanizbari?) beer made from bananas by "low-tec" mail once.
Welcome, Jesoer. African beer is always an experience...
Post a Comment
<< Home