Movie recommendation
Just before I leave, I thought I would make a movie recommendation.
Well, actually it’s not really a recommendation. The movie is OK; a fluffy action flick, nothing special. But what’s interesting about it, why I wanted to mention it, is that it is an excellent glimpse into West Africa, and especially the Sahel.
If you want to know what Chad looks and feels like – the dusty streets, the pock-marked buildings, the sounds of the local mosque, the AK-47s, the filth-encrusted Land Cruisers, the turbans and the headdresses, the colours of the chaotic markets – check out “Sahara”. It even has the nearly incomprehensible French and the fairly accurate depiction of foreign aid workers (albeit cowboy ones), slinging their trademark grim humour. My favourite part is the typical West African assurance that everything is OK. No matter how crazy or dangerous the situation, your local companions will reassure you: “It’s good! C’est bon!” Thumbs up, big grin. Very comforting.
The film was shot on location somewhere in West Africa (I didn’t check) that is meant to stand in for Nigeria and Mali. My guess is both are the real thing, but it’s the latter country that is Chad in every way. Not surprising since they are close neighbours and both part of the Sahel sub-region. Anyway… it really took me back!

4 Comments:
We did watch the movie. Decidedly fluffy, but entertaining none-the-less. I am not a particular fan of Penelope Cruz so that was hard to get past, but the story was interesting and they were certainly big on explosives . (Lots of action). Chad must certainly be a dismal place but then, so much of west Africa is.
Erin, it's your friend Erin from Calgary. email me at girlbelletristic@gmail.com
Erin,
Wow! More proof that the blog is doing its job.
You'll be hearing from me soon!
Way after the fact, I had to amend this to say that when I posted the original entry, I had not actually finished watching the movie.
Phew.
Scratch everything I said about accuracy or plausibility.
Post a Comment
<< Home