Stop whispering, start shouting
There's been a lot of talk out there about the wide-ranging impact of the internet revolution on the way we live our lives, particularly for those of us under the age of 35. We use the internet to shop, to bank, to keep up with world affairs. Many of us also use it to make -- and keep -- friends. By providing an unlimited virtual 'space' for people to come together regardless of their geographical position, the internet has played a powerful role in the way young people relate to each other. My generation (so-called Generation Y) and those that have come after are probably less private than any in history. We've put ourselves Out There for all to see, and gotten into the habit of sharing our hobbies and interests widely. The click of a mouse can show fifty of my friends the You Tube video I thought was funny, or the article I read in the paper. With that in mind, you would think that political activism -- that staple of university life -- would be thriving now as never before, wouldn't you?
In this article, Thomas Friedman argues the opposite -- that over-reliance on the internet has in fact stymied the student activism so crucial to driving social change. And I think he makes a hell of a good point.
For activism to work, it has to be visible, and the problem with internet campaigns is that they aren't. They're too passive. For someone to read your outraged blog on Darfur, they have to WANT to read your outraged blog on Darfur, which suggests that you're largely preaching to the converted. The internet can play a vital role in getting the world Out There, but that's no substitute for a good old-fashioned sit in. Your blog probably won't make the nightly news, will it?
Surely the best solution is to use all the means at your disposal, and a combination of internet word-of-mouth and more conventional political activism can be incredibly powerful. For example, next week will be the third annual Gulu Walk, a protest march on behalf of children in Northern Uganda that will take place in dozens of cities across the world. Properly organized (which I would like to think Gulu Walk will be this year, inshallah), these worldwide events can make pretty big waves. Think back to the huge anti-war marches shortly after the invasion of Iraq.
So get out there, kids! Make yourselves some signs and hold a rally! Save Darfur, stop climate change, end farm subsidies! Just do yourselves a favour and don't provoke the cops. Those dogs are as mean as they look.

7 Comments:
I've been thinking about something that is at least marginally related to this (this may get wordy, long-winded, and confused - apologies in advance).
A while back I realised that I had just spent 5 hours in front of various news-sites, reading basically the same stories that I'd read in the morning paper (or would read in the morning paper the next morning). And the thing that really annoyed me was that I probably know less of "what's going on" now than I did when I was at school and had to make do with one (1) paper and the Swedish TV/Radio news than today when I have more or less the entire world's news-industry one or two mouse-clicks away (although since I can't read any other languages than the Scandinavian languages, English, and French that's maybe an overstatement).
And why is that? In my opinion because so much of what's on the internet tend to move in surprisingly small circles that rarely converge (it does happen though, I may have started visiting this blog because Erik Scott de Bie linked to his fellow "Young Dragons," but I stayed because of the UN-stuff).
So someone writing an angry blog-post about the crackdown against the opposition in Burma might get plenty of agreement from the people visiting his or her's blog, but he or she won't really reach someone new. Whereas if the person in question had taken an empty crate, stood on a street-corner in his or her city-centre and started to speak the text of the blog (and in most western countries, unless the resulting crowd blocks traffic [and thus commits the cardinal crime of interfering with commerce] no-one has a problem with someone doing this) a large number of people who normally might not have been interested in the subject woukd still stop and listen, if nothing else for the spectactle of the thing.
So, before I drift too far away from the subject - you're absolutely right. And I'm off to look for an empty crate.
Actually, one more thing...
The reason I was spending 5 hours reading newspapers was that I was looking for information about Tchad, since apparently the French government want the UN-force to be deployed there to be led by Sweden. I couldn't find much though, would you (or anyone else reading this) know of any good sources?
"Although since I can't read any other languages than the Scandinavian languages, English, and French that's maybe an overstatement."
Oh, is that all? Come on, Jesper, you can do better than that! ;)
As for Chad, I haven't heard anything about the French looking for Sweden to step in, but it wouldn't surprise me. The French will probably make up the bulk of the force, but for political reasons their dominance in the affair is difficult. They are hardly viewed as impartial by the rebels, possibly having something to do with the fact that French mirage jets fired on rebel forces in April of 2005 to prevent their advance on N'djamena.
Even so, last I had heard, the operational HQ was meant to be in Paris, with France leading the force and contributing about 40% of the 3,000 - 4,000 troops. I have heard of possible involvement of the Nordic Battle Group, though, which may be what you're referring to.
I can ask the Department of Peacekeeping Operations. They would know. (At least one hopes they would.) In the meantime, I can recommend the following sources: Reuters AlertNet Africa, Agence France Press (AFP), nottament pour ceux qui parlent francais, and www.securitycouncilreport.org.
Hope this helps!
This comment has been removed by the author.
It probably does help yes. Lots of thanks.
And yes, it's as part of the Nordic battlegroup that Sweden has been asked (apparently we're on "call duty" [um... we... I made very sure I wasn't going to be placed anywhere other than the infantry-reserve when I went to my draft-checkup] this period).
And it seems the Swedish government isn't to keen on taking a leading position according to the article I read - we've a liberal/conservative government at the moment, but I'm not going to vent about them right now...
Word of the day: hyaienq - A cross between a hyacinth and a hyena.
I come back to you with mixed intelligence. A Swedish friend of mine told me that he has also heard such talk, including from some friends from his peacekeeping days who are still involved with the Nordic Battle Group.
However, DPKO was skeptical, and they provided me with updated documentation confirming that the Operational HQ will be in Paris, and the commander has already been appointed. (He's not a Swede.) Apparently Sweden is being looked to for about 200 troops, but the Troop Contributing Countries have yet to be decided. Currently there aren't enough pledged. All in all, I'd say you're safe from Chad. I just hope your mandatory service doesn't take you somewhere worse.
Well, unless we get involved in a war at home, my mandatory service will remain a thing of fiction since the infantry reserve means that the only time youll get called up is if there's a full mobilisation (that said, if I'd had to do some military service, I'd much rather do it wearing a UN-flag than a national flag).
I'm mostly curious in the situation since well... as a voter I like to know if the Swedish soldiers would be sent somewhere they can do some good (as seems to have been the case in Bosnia, Kosova, and our second attempt at the Congo) or if it will just prolong the conflict by keeping the parties so separated that they don't talk to each other (Cyprus).
Your information fits with what I read on the Swedish state-television's telly-text this morning.
Finally, a lot of thanks for looking into it, I was only shopping around for a few links, so I got more than I'd expected. :)
Mind you, I can be a bit self-centred (count the "I"s and "me"s in the posts I've made), so don't encourage me ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home