Change of plans
In my line of work, travel plans are a constantly mutating proposition. Arrangements tend to be made at the last minute, and this trip is no exception. So instead of flying home from Port au Prince on Friday, I will instead be traveling to the Dominican Republic on Thursday, from whence to fly home on Saturday.
The trip will involve a six hour bus ride. Initially I was unhappy about this -- and might well circle back to being unhappy about it again. I hate buses of all forms, and reliably get car sick. On top of that, there is in principle little reason to go this route, when MINUSTAH flies there daily. I'm not sure why we're doing it that way, frankly. But I also think it's probably going to be pretty interesting. We'll get to see the Haitian countryside, and will experience in very stark terms the apparently startling difference between Haiti and the DR -- two countries that share an island, but which are by all accounts a world apart.

2 Comments:
I don't care how interesting the Haitian countryside proves to be, SIX HOURS?????? Yikes!
Actually it proved to be nine hours in the end. About 12 door to door. :/
Post a Comment
<< Home