Straining to Hear

A room with a New York view, from Soho to the United Nations and everything in between.

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Catching my breath

It's been an incredibly hectic month. Work has been crazy busy, leaving me exhausted at the end of the work day. This has meant that I haven't even started work on The Project, which is throwing additional stress into the mix. I've been wound so tight lately that I'm fairly certain if you stop and listen you can hear the high-pitched whine of my tightly strung nerves.

One major source of stress was lifted a little over a week ago, however, and it marks a major victory in my writing career. I finally concluded an agreement with a literary agent -- a good one too, and a nice guy to boot. He'll work with me on Key, as well as The Project (more on the latter someday, when I'm allowed). I'm really excited to have him on board, and it will be great to hear his thoughts on a manuscript I've now had sitting around for a hell of a long time. It's kind of strange to be an official client of someone who's rejected your queries twice. But I like to think that it proves perseverance pays off. I feel like a Real Writer now. I have an agent! Wheee!

In other news, looks like I'll be going to Haiti at the end of the month. I'm excited and nervous about this. Haiti is still really dangerous, but like so many dangerous places, fascinating as well. I just hope I won't have to wear kevlar when we go out to the field. Or be escorted by peacekeepers. That would seriously harsh my Zen. I'm pretty sure those rules have been lifted, though, reflecting the improved security environment.

Hopefully I'll be able to blog while I'm there. I've found the old entries from Chad really help keep the memory fresh.

8 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the agent, that is really good news. Without sharing any private conversations, or breaking any N.D.A.'s, can you explain why he turned you down the first two times, but said yes the third?

Or did you solicit him before you had your Wizards credit?

~ J.L. Collins ~
www.jl-collins.com

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger E said...

Actually, it's not so mysterious as all that. The first rejection was on an old project that wasn't very good and frankly didn't deserve his representation (or anyone else's). This was a few years ago.

The second rejection was about a year ago. It was for Key, but he only saw a query letter, never a sample of the work. This proves how mysterious, important and unreliable an art the query letter really is. Get it wrong, and an agent who might really like your work will pass without ever seeing it, just because the letter didn't grab his or her eye.

When I approached the agent recently with a new project, he wanted to make sure he could get behind my career, not just one project. So he asked me to send some sample chapters of Key, even though I admitted that he had already passed on it once before. He looked at it, and I guess liked what he saw.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Kameron said...

Congrats.

Is The Project your own work, or a work-for-hire?

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger E said...

Hi Kameron,

Thanks! But I can't discuss The Project yet, unfortunately. : /

-Erin

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Jesper Haglund said...

Congratulations on the agent.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger E said...

Thanks, Jesper.

 
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your success at getting an agent. I knew it had to happen eventually. I'm that sure of your talent. Once again, congratulations.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger E said...

Good to see you back, Todd, and thanks. Hope all is well and maybe we'll see each other around Christmas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home