Straining to Hear

A room with a New York view, from Soho to the United Nations and everything in between.

Monday, May 19, 2008

Drama, drama, drama

The Congo must be the most dramatic place on earth. I've described a bit of the human drama already -- the violence, the power struggles and the crushing poverty. Then there's the disease, of which Congo has many of the nastiest known to man. There's the run of the mill stuff -- cholera, malaria, typhoid, polio, etc. There's the exotic stuff like Ebola virus, a hemorrhagic fever that involves bleeding to death through every orifice. The Congo still has the bubonic plague, if you can imagine.

Aside from all this, the natural environment is incredibly dramatic. I've already described the beauty of the landscape around Goma, which is dominated by the hazy cone of the Nyiragongo volcano. I've seen plenty of active volcanoes before, but never one that actually emits glowing red smoke. Eastern DRC is nestled in the Great Rift, so aside from volcanoes you also have earthquakes, like the one that rattled nearby Bukavu today. (I was actually in Bukavu just last Friday...) Lake Kivu, that peaceful expanse of molten silver, conceals a deadly layer of methane gas that could escape at just about any time, asphyxiating everything in the area. And then there are the storms. A few nights ago, I experienced the most violent thunderstorm I've ever seen. There was so much lightening that my hotel room flickered as though lit by a strobe light -- a few seconds between each flash, no more. The rain came down in a torrent, and the lake was so whipped up by the wind that it lashed against my balcony. And for the first time since probably the age of four, I was a little afraid.

I'm sure that seems ridiculous, but let me try to explain. Living in the Western world, you are cushioned by a profound underlying sense that everything will be all right. Nature isn't out to kill you by fabulously exotic means. And besides, there's a buffer between you and disasters of most kind. Buildings are constructed to code. Commercial airlines respect a certain minimum standard of safety. That low, rumbling noise is probably just a passing truck. In the Congo, you are stripped of this sense of security. Everything is potentially dangerous. That low, rumbling noise could be the volcano erupting, or an earthquake, or heavy military vehicles (or, theoretically, all three at the same time.) The aviation industry here is notorious for regular, spectacular plane crashes. And the building you're sleeping in certainly doesn't have a lightening rod.

For all those people who regularly bitch and whine about The Government -- how pushy, how nannying, how interfering -- all I can say is, thank your lucky stars. That peaceful sleep you enjoy at night? It's called good governance. And it's priceless.

5 Comments:

At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like we don't understand the concept of drama back home.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger E said...

Oh, everybody understands the concept of drama. But what's funny is how sexy drama seems from afar, and how brutish and ugly it seems from up close.

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are the pics?

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting, but I feel that it exemplifies the hopelessness of Africa (think of Zimbabwe and the riots in SA which are probably not nearly among the worst happenings in what I believe is a lost continent). But I admire my daughter - in-law's tenacity and her drive to try and help wherever she can.
Love,
Sel

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Erin said...

The continent holds its breath for South Africa. What's happening there doesn't even register on the atrocity scale compared to what's going on in many other countries. But I tend to think that South Africa, more than any other country, is the key to hope on the continent. Kenya's turbulence was disturbing. Senegal or Uganda experiencing similar troubles would be worrying indeed. But South Africa is the load-bearing pillar, the make-or-break country. It's the only industrialized economy that is consistently willing to make risky investments in its neighbours, and thus its economy sustains many others. On top of that, South Africa's successful transition through a difficult time has been one of the rare beacons of hope that keep people like me convinced that Africa is not, in fact, a lost cause. If South Africa were to go, the consequences for the whole continent would be catastrophic.

Fortunately, though, I don't think that's going to happen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home