My weekend
What did you do this weekend?
I spent Saturday visiting villages and displacement camps in areas affected by armed conflict along the Rwandan border.
I spent Sunday cuddling baby chimpanzees.
Just sayin'.
A room with a New York view, from Soho to the United Nations and everything in between.
4 Comments:
Ah, a post I can reply to without revealing my general ignorance about the world outside my general sphere of attention ;)
My weekend was spent sleeping late (Saturday being the only day of the week I can indulge in that particular "activity"), and watching the last round of the English Premiership.
No cuddling chimpanzee babies though, so I'm definately somewhat envious of you. Good to hear Kivu isn't all doom and gloom (or have you moved on?). From your descriptions it sounds a bit like the Lebanon of Africa.
Spent most of Saturday redesigning my website. Sunday was all moms (both mine, my kids' and my mother-in-law).
Sheesh... I totally forgot Mothers Day.
I wonder if being in the Congo counts as an excuse...
Hi Jesper,
The Lebanon of Africa is, I'm afraid, a massive understatement. By some estimates, more than 4 million have been killed, directly or indirectly, by the conflict in DRC. As recently as 2002, the conflict involved no fewer than 8 African countries, earning it the nickname "Africa's World War" or "the Great War of Africa".
The continuing violence is closely linked to the continuing legacy of the Rwanda genocide. Beneath the surface, though, Congo is always at war because it's one of the richest countries on the planet in terms of natural resources. Without a strong government to assert control over those resources, the jungles of the Congo are a free-for-all for every arms dealer, gem smuggler and mining outfit on the continent, most of whom are in some way or another connected to the governments and armies of neighbouring states.
If you've seen Blood Diamond, you sort of get the idea.
Post a Comment
<< Home