Straining to Hear

A room with a New York view, from Soho to the United Nations and everything in between.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Opinions are like... something else everybody has one of...

I received a newsletter in my junk mail today containing some advice from a bestselling author on how to break into the publishing industry. Even though such advice is as ubiquitous as the particles of dust on my desk (and sometimes of equal use), it’s always worth checking out, just to see if there are any pearls of wisdom I haven’t seen before.

In this case, there were none. In fact, most of the “advice” consisted at best of platitudes (“If you try to please everybody, you’ll end up pleasing no one”) and at worst of shameless self-aggrandizement (“For my own first novel, I wanted to do something that I’d never seen done well before … and I guess I pulled it off, because in his review of my book, Orson Scott Card said I’d created ‘the deepest computer character in all of science fiction’”). It also included the now-requisite Dan Brown-bashing that has become a cottage industry among writers and wannabes alike.

But one particular bit really stuck in my craw:

“Once you start publishing, you may be offered the chance to write a media tie-in; don’t do that, either. Your job is to establish your name; you are branding yourself in a competitive marketplace, and you do that by telling unique, original stories about characters and events you’ve devised while exploring issues that you are passionate about. Many experienced writers of media tie-ins do so under pseudonyms—precisely because they don’t want the association with hack work to taint their own original writing. And, for Pete’s sake, don’t even think about starting your career with a media tie-in; they are not entry-level work in this field; rather, they are dead ends. No, to launch your career, write your own wholly original first novel.”

I find this argument to be worse than unpersuasive; I find it to be just plain stupid. Let’s break the argument down:

Your job is to establish your name (True); you are branding yourself in a competitive marketplace (Uh huh) and you do that by telling unique, original stories (Not always, but I’ll go with it) about characters and events you’ve devised (SCREECH. This is where I get off the bus. Sure, that’s how to make a name for yourself in the mainstream market, and plenty of us are interested in doing that. But is there nothing to be said for making a name for yourself in the HUGE tie-in fiction market? It's certainly a pretty good way of keeping the work steady. And doesn’t it guarantee a large existing fan-base -- and thus sales -- for your work? Am I missing something?) And, for Pete’s sake, don’t even think about starting your career with a media tie-in; they are not entry-level work in this field; rather, they are dead ends. (Ick. Will someone please call the punctuation police? I'm going cross-eyed here! )

As many of you know, that last sentence (well, the second-to-last, actually) describes my experience with tie-in fiction. That is, I’ve looked at it as a way to get my foot in the door. Never mind that it has given me the opportunity to hone my craft (and I don’t care if you’re sitting at home in your PJs cranking out Star Wars fanfic, it’s not a waste of time if it improves your writing) working with WotC has given me exposure to the world of publishing – story edits, line edits, galleys, contracts, royalties, distribution, etc. It has given me a readership I could never have gotten on my own, one that may someday follow me into the mainstream. And hopefully, future work with them (fingers crossed) will help me land an agent, which is the golden ticket I need to take a tour of Willy Wonka’s World of Big Publishing Houses. Agents have a tough time saying ‘no’ to a free lunch, and if I approach one with a contract in hand, chances are he or she will think very seriously about taking me on. Hell, one agent has already told me rather bluntly that while he wasn’t interested in representing Key, he’d be pleased if I’d consider him (if I would consider him! ) for future WotC work.

Am I being naïve here? Am I really just a hack? Maybe. Or maybe this HUGO! and NEBULA! AWARD! WINNING! author is just another example of the yawn-inducing snobbery so prevalent in the arts. Sure, there’s a lot of terrible tie-in fiction. There’s also plenty of terrible mainstream fiction.

Yes, it’s your job as an author to write original and insightful stories. Apparently, though, it isn’t your job to write original or insightful advice for other authors.

4 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, time for a "Writing for Engineers" crash course. What is tie-in fiction?

"Anonymous" will have to do for now, since I'm too embarrassed to attach my name to this comment. I'm willing to bet that you know who I am, and I'm sure that you'll leave my name out of your response... right? Right. ;)

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger E said...

No need to be embarrassed; I should definitely have explained that term. “Media tie-in” in this context refers to fiction based on characters and settings first developed for other media – usually movies, comic books, television or games. For example, there are literally hundreds of official Star Trek novels chronicling the adventures not only of the various Enterprise crews but also scores of other vulcans, klingons, etc. that never existed on the televised versions. Same goes for a lot of other scifi/fantasy properties like Star Wars, Stargate, Xena Warrior Princess and so on.

Famous settings and characters sell books, so publishers buy the rights to develop those characters and settings and then contract out to authors to write novels about them. Sometimes they are sequels or prequels to established tales, like the NYT bestselling Star Wars trilogy that came out some years back that told us what happened to Luke and company after Return of the Jedi. Sometimes they are only based on the setting, like the dozens of books telling tales of Jedi knights you and I have never heard of.

Realms of the Dragons II, the anthology in which my story appeared, takes place in the Forgotten Realms, a setting originally developed for the Dungeons and Dragons game, but which has since spawned many dozens of novels.

Some of this fiction is pretty awful, as you might imagine. And some of it is every bit as good as anything found in the mainstream. Personally, I don’t see how writing about your own characters in an established setting is inherently less creative than mainstream stuff. If you think about it, the overwhelming majority of authors do precisely that. Most books on the shelves today take place in a pre-existing setting: it’s called, ya know, EARTH.

 
At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a strict personal rule about being very careful when referencing other established artists, regardless of their field. Even if I don't agree with, or actually despise their work, opinions, or relative level of fame, I consider it my obligation to demonstrate professional courtesy by not publically criticising or condemning any one creator or work.

Part of that is because I am just starting out, and the internet has proven time and again that an e-mail sent to the wrong person, or one spiteful Blog entry can haunt a public persona for a long time.

So I thank you for absolving me of any guilt or professional misstep by keeping this mystery author anonymous, allowing me the freedom of true self-expression.

I've taken the liberty of re-writing the passage you've quoted with my own take on the subject matter.

“Once you start publishing, you may earn the opportunity to write a media tie-in; so look carefully at the company you would be writing for, and always weigh your options. Your job is to establish your name; you are branding yourself in a competitive marketplace, and you do that by telling unique, original stories about characters and events you want to write about while exploring issues that you are passionate about. Many experienced writers of media tie-ins do so under pseudonyms—to allow publishers to market their own original writing differently. You would have to make your own choice in that regard. And, for Pete’s sake, don’t even think about starting your career with a media tie-in; unless you believe you can be excited about the media you are writing for. The often long-established fan bases for these media brands are both vocal and faithful, and can spread word about a positive interpretation of their favorite brand quickly. To launch your career, write your own wholly original story, in whatever medium you choose, and believe in the story, the setting, the publisher, and yourself. That is a surefire way to establish your name as someone publishers want to work with, and hopefully work with more than once too. ”

~ J.L. Collins ~
www.jl-collins.com

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger E said...

But Paul, he created "the deepest computer character in all of science fiction". And I bet that includes Commander Data and all! Doesn't that make him Grand Sage of All that is Good and True in Fiction?

Oh, and didn't his hero Orson Scott Card write the tie-in novel of The Abyss? Co-authored it with the freakin' DIRECTOR of the movie? Because, ya know, writing a novel of an existing screenplay is wicked original.

By the way, you have more than a "moderate" brand going...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home