Straining to Hear

A room with a New York view, from Soho to the United Nations and everything in between.

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Life in the bubble

N’djamena has changed since last I was here. That surprises me, since places as underdeveloped as NDJ change but slowly. Unless they’re at war, that is, so perhaps I should have expected it.

The streets are empty by sunset. Gone are the cheerful fires at the roadside where people gathered to grill meat and roast peanuts. Gone are the vendors selling gasoline in 2L Coke bottles. In their place is a heavy silence, like the whole city is holding its collective breath. It was never particularly safe for foreigners to wander around after dark, but at least the locals used to feel secure. Now, according to our driver, even Chadians are afraid. “Meme nous, nous sommes exposes,” he says – even we are exposed.

Are the rebels likely to attack the capital anytime soon? Probably not, but that’s not really the point. Fear is fear, however irrational. And besides, there is nothing more dangerous than bored, ill-disciplined soldiers, and N’djamena is lousy with them.

Not that any of that affects me. No, here at the Hotel Le Meridien, things are calm. Pleasant, even, if not totally insulated from the general stink of NDJ. Today is a Sunday, so the pool is crowded. Fat white people in various embarrassing swimming attire lie draped around the pool skirt sipping cocktails like so much liquor-infused flotsam and jetsam. Outside the barbed wire fence, the river ambles by, dotted by the occasional dugout canoe being poled downstream by lanky youths with hungry gazes. On our side of the fence, the grass is green and the trees are heavy with flowers and fruit. The other side is nothing but sand and refuse. The fence is a line between two worlds, as abrupt as if it were the difference between black-and-white and colour film.

The humidity also has a hand in the surreal atmosphere. The sky is thick and grey, like everything is covered in gauze. It heightens the impression that we’re living in a bubble here, we internationals, separated from Chad by an impermeable barrier that we couldn’t breach if we wanted to – and we don’t, at least judging by the French and South African oil workers who laugh too loud, smoke too much and generally make themselves obnoxious, especially to the staff. Here it is Europe, with camembert and bikinis and pedicures. Outside is blackest Africa, where peanuts are a hardy meal and even the men are covered from wrist to ankle.

I was invited by some colleagues to go to a club this evening. Apparently it’s the place to be on a Sunday. “All of N’djamena is there,” they assured me. “You can really see the culture, what it’s like to live here.” Right. The only Chadians in the place will be bartenders and prostitutes.

Not that I begrudge expats a good time – far from it. It’s essential to keeping them mentally healthy enough to work. It’s just that I would hate to think that I, personally, would ever lose perspective enough to imagine that my life bore any resemblance to those of the people in whose midst I was living. No, these people have more in common with me, with my life in NYC, than they do with the locals. Perhaps that’s as it should be. Or perhaps not.

I’ll say one thing for traveling to difficult places like this: it sure makes you think.

5 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did the fellow who jerry-rigged your laptop get his technical savvy from the guys with the home made rocket launchers held together with duct tape?

You write beautifully. I really get a sense of life in NDJ (Well... like you say... from your perspective anyway).

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger E said...

You're too kind. And you remembered the rocket truck! Neccesity is the mother of invention, I guess. And I can't knock the guy -- I'm online, aren't I?

I wish I had more time to devote to jotting down my thoughts, because I know I will want to read them over one day, once the memories have started to fade. But the schedule is so punishing I can barely keep up. It's 11:30 pm now. Last night I worked past midnight. It's nuts. I need sleep.

 
At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not just to read them again, I hope. I don't know what restrictions your position might have with regards to sharing details of your work after-the-fact, but reading your entries, it really makes me wonder if you have an opportunity to write a collection of stories or anecodotes.

Perhaps even following a rough timeline, of your travels, experiences, culture shock, and then the inevitable return to political environments, endless commitee meetings, and cold hard statistics replacing flesh and blood experiences.

I don't know if you've ever considered it, but it appears as though you have a unique perspective between people working continuously on the ground, and people in the political arena.

Such a book could offer a lot of previously unknown facts and smaller details glossed over in the media. As well, you have the writing chops to pull it off, especially when written from a personal perspective.

~ J.L. Collins ~
www.jl-collins.com

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoy getting your perspective on things out there in the world. When I show some of our ESL (english as a second language) students from Chad and Sudan your blog they seem to agree with you on alot of things. One tells me that, although he agrees that there is an unpleasant odor it is still the smell of home and he misses it (he's only been in Canada for 5 months).He bears the tatoos around his brow suggesting that he perhaps has seen some "active duty". Anyway, once again, stay safe and know I'm thinking of you. Love Todd

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger E said...

Jason,

I've thought about it, but it's hard to consider my experiences interesting when you compare them to those of my colleagues. Still, it's probably an idea I'll keep in the back of my head.

Todd,

I laughed when I saw you were showing the blog to Chadians. I'll have to be more careful what I say in the future!

Facial marks are common here, especially long vertical scars that look as though claws have been raked across the face. I'm told these are not ceremonial, but rather medical; they are the evidence of traditional healing procedures for the sick. Given that malaria, typhoid and yellow fever are endemic here, you can imagine how many people have these marks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home