Straining to Hear

A room with a New York view, from Soho to the United Nations and everything in between.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Ye olde stomping grounds

Sorry for the long silence, but I have been pretty swamped this past week in preparation for my trip.

Trip? Oh yeah... I forgot to mention that.

I'm in Geneva for a conference, and I have to say it's strange to be back here. It's like I've re-wound my life by three years. The old sights (and smells) are so familiar. They are also stirring an unexpected affection, one that I wouldn't have guessed Geneva could inspire. I was so anxious to get out of this city that I grew to hate it, so much so that I wasn't really looking forward to visiting, even for such a short time and after so long.

But it's not so bad. Ugly in places, mouldy and depressing and smelling of cigarettes and dog poo, but once you get past all that it's kinda charming. Walking around the lake in the perpetually mild weather is a nice little pleasure that a New Yorker like me could get re-accustomed to in a big hurry.

2 Comments:

At 3:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As soon as I saw this, I thought of you. Hard as heck, depressing as hell.

Ayiti
The Cost Of Life

http://ayiti.newzcrew.org/ayitiunicef/

~ J.L. Collins ~
www.jl-collins.com

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger E said...

Thanks for the link, Jason. Haiti actually falls under my area of responsibility, and it's really an incredibly difficult place. It's got statistics to rival many parts of sub-Saharan Africa, only it's right in our backyard.

It's funny... the ruling party in Haiti is called "Lespwa" -- Creole for "Hope". That pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home